I crashed back to the home screen after picking up the fishermen in the first mission
A downloadable game for Windows
Our Land was a student project, which has now grown into a full fledged game, you can now see it here: https://melolon.itch.io/our-land
Our Land is a 2D management game, turn by turn on a hexagonal grid. The game takes place in a futuristic "post-collapse" world where nature has regained its rights over our modern society. The player embodies a nomadic tribe that lives in this world. In order not to repeat the mistakes of the past, the tribe decided to live in harmony with nature and the environment.
Cnam Enjmin / Campus Magelis / Université de Poitiers
|Release date||Feb 22, 2019|
|Authors||Our Land Team, s0r0, un-defined, Togi, Korin, TheFuel, Raphael Marchetti, Darenn Keller, DantonSlip, Romain Rhum Navazo|
|Made with||Adobe Photoshop, Adobe After Effects, Unity|
|Tags||2D, Fantasy, Isometric, Post-apocalyptic, Turn-based Strategy|
|Average session||A few minutes|
- A brand new adventure !Dec 17, 2020
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Once I got the hang of it, the game was alright. However, it suddenly ended after reaching 30 turns (?). I was wondering whether or not you guys did any playtesting. Since the UI is pretty obscure, and the optionsmenu and quit button don't work. Though, I didn't have the cursor issue that the other players mention.
I really like the concept but got stuck on the first mission because after harvest the rams in the green area my workers turned to Gear icons and refused to go do anything, resulting in starving, but also since they wouldn't get wood, i couldn't move either
also sometimes at the very first turn, even though i assigned them both to wood, only one would collect wood
Nice work; cool concept! I like the artwork, but the UI doesn't stand out from the environments enough.
Hi! I was trying to play this but there are issues with the mouse not registering where you're pointing and moving outside the game instead of being able to click on elements at the edge of the screen. This seems promising but as of now I can't play it. Looking forward to any future updates though!
In the meantime, you can play it fullscreen to avoid this problem. ^^
Thanks! I tried windowed mode because my input wasn't registering properly in fullscreen in the first place. A lot of locking up and my clicks being picked up where I wasn't actually clicking. Windowed mode smoothed out the gameplay but aggravated the click issue. I'll try another fresh install later!
Far too buggy.
Game get stuck often.
aside from some bugs, it is a neat idea. a few hints from a pro game dev because it is a missed opportunity for a commercial success, and i'm surprised that your profs did not help you in this regard, probably because they lack game design and production experience, or they didn't care? but even if the latter is true, you should care:
- flesh out the ui. illustrators are often bad ui designers. the ui is not abstract enough. the ui textures are too detailed. compare it to successful strategy game uis.
- it took me a few minutes to realize what and how to do it. ui could you some help here. bear in mind that ui design in the #2 priority for a strategy game, after game mechanics, but also in general.
- animation is key. you could spent a little more time on animations. and do not animate the borders, because the eye it is the major moving area of the whole game currently.
- be cautious about challenges. challenges/missions are good for rpg's, not open world strategy games. players tend then to focus only on your challenges and stop playing once you run out of challenges or if they become generic. an rpg has combat/story at least.
- 3 game designers + 1 pm, but only 2 coders, 2 artists, 1 ui and 1 sound? an indicator of bad project management and direction. next time focus on the artists and coders. be efficient. nobody cares about game designers or pm's of student projects anyway. game quality is all that matters at that stage.
- less text in the descriptions and quests. 90 % of players read 5-6 lines only.
- the game is a little too close to a board game. you might have missed the opportunity for a video game here, guys, which goes especially to the game designers.
- as some youtubers pointed out. this game has lot of potential that you missed, so i will miss that point as it would lead to extensions or even a new game.
good luck! :)
Thank you for your feedbacks, but I want to reply to the composition of the team: actually, we didn't have much choice for the composition, it's the same composition for each team (in our school).
I really think that almost (wink wink, team) each people in the team have done their part and were useful to the project. We didn't reach every expectations we had (this "demo" is far away from our ambitions and will but it's a start, isn't it?) but since you're a professionnal game dev, I think that you know that, sometimes, game creation goes through some hard times. And thanks to our PM who keeps an eye on our very tight scheduled, organized the work, managed the team to make all of us work as one, we ended up creating something.
Of course, we're still learning and we make mistakes but it's how the learning process work: making mistakes, learning from them, making something better. And that's why I thank you and each person who give us feedback, because it helps a lot.
However, I fully agree with the fact that we needed more artists, more coders (each time, they did their best to make everything happened) and more sound designers. Unfortunately, this isn't up to us (it's some kind of pre-requisite instaured by our school).
So, thank you again for your feedback, there are interesting advices in it! ^^ And sorry for the long text, haha!
I have the same issue as Elreyboro, the game is unplayable as the displayed mouse cursor does not match up with where the click happens.
Yep! For now, you can play it in fullscreen to avoid this issue. Thanks for your understanding! : )
i have a problem even when im in windowed mode the mouse is limited to the center (it can move but it seems it has some kind of border inside of the game) and i cant click in the area outside it